Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Otters and whales - Part 1






If you know me, you know I'm not into sightseeing. But I'm here to have some adventures so I took a new friend's offer up to go to Vancouver Aquarium with her. It also doubled as the chance to see the much talked about Stanley Park as it's located in the park.

I wasn't so into the rainforest or tropical fish exhibitions but really loved the sea otters and the beluga whales.

The sea otters are so playful, spinning around in the water and playing with one another, in addition to constantly scratching themselves (ie cleaning) and washing their face with their paws.

The baby beluga whale in the pictures above is 3 years old. When it grows into an adult the whales are pure white.
It's funny how it can get around with such short flippers and no fin. Apparently it digs for mussells and the like in the sea sand with it's mouth. They are 40-50% blubber! We saw the talk for this and they were able to wave their flippers at us, show us their 'tail', one spat a whole bucket of water to the side and then onto a audience member, they also sang for us.

I didn't see much of the park as I was a bit tired but it's very green with winding pathways - it would be very calming to spend half a day there if I had the patience to keep still!

http://www.vanaqua.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment