Monday, May 30, 2011

Something Special....

It has only been a week since I arrived in Vancouver and I have observed something special....

It didn't take me too long before I realised that most of the people I've met - you just feel like packing them up and taking them home with you.

This isn't to discount any family or friends I have, but I have just been so struck by the evident welcoming, friendliness, genuineness, quirkiness, humility, and fun of the people here.

I've talked a bit about it with CP and we think it's because the people who come (or went) to Regent Bible College are obviously all there for a key reason to learn more about God. But not just one or a few 'types of people' are there...it's a whole bunch of eclectic personalities (in addition to the fact they are from around the world) which somehow works because we all have the one faith.

I can see two way blessings in the relationships being built and it's such a wonderful thing to watch. Or should I say three way to include Him who draws all things and people together! OK, there are some one way relationships happening but that's OK....always room for growth and encouragement.

It is also so encouraging to meet individuals and fathom that each person has made a sacrifice to commit time and resources (and perhaps even relationships) to come and be fed and learn. Especially the wives or husbands of those studying too. I've met a few young people and it fascinates me that they know from an early age that they want to study at bible college. And on the other end of the spectrum I've seen a few older people (in their 50s-60s).

What blows my mind is the passion, wisdom and insight of the teachers. From my visit in November last year and having sat through my first course this week - it really challenges me to think about where my faith is at and how passionate I am in that. God is using them mightily and effectively to teach His Word and His ways. This week's lecturer Gordon Smith referred to himself as our pastor....which makes it so much more personal and meaningful than 'lecturer'.



2 comments:

  1. Canadians Rock!! full stop. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just Canadians, there are people from all over the world here - South African, NZ, USA, HK, Japan, Singapore etc...

    Which Caz is this? I know 2 Caz's - assuming it's CL.

    ReplyDelete