Friday, May 27, 2011

2 Insightful Men...maybe 3


I had an awesome day for a number of reasons yesterday:
  1. Insightful lecture by Gordon Smith at Regent Bible College as part of the Spiritual Discernment course I'm taking. Intending to write a bit more later about that once I've absorbed it all!
  2. Even though I am suppose to be resting and even though I complained about it to CP when I got home, it was nice (perhaps a rebuke) to know God still has 'work' for me to do! Do I have a sign on my forehead that says 'I'm all ears'?
  3. Did CP know what she was doing when she introduced me to 4th Avenue? A place to retreat to when I need to wander. Eclectic strip of shops including low-end, high-end, food...including Wholefoods which I loved in New York.
  4. One of many of CP's wonderful friends here D&T invited us to see 'The Great Divorce' - a play based on a novel by CS Lewis. SO good, so so good....it was SO good it brought tears to T's eyes as he grew up on CS Lewis.
  5. Great dinner (pics in next post) before the play - I even waited (which I hate when you can't book) - but waiting with CP whilst munching on cassava chips is not a bad thing at all!
These were 5 great things - but the 2 highlights were of 2 insightful men.
  • Gordon T. Smith - the lecturer from a course I am taking in Spiritual Discernment. So refreshingly insightful, humble and funny. Passionate about being in a living relationship with the triune God. Has a thing for Paul Simon songs and can re-tell a story from his life with such honesty, vulnerability and reflection. I do not want the course to end tomorrow and could listen to him endlessly. I've not had enough time or energy to chew over this week's teaching but hope to do so in it's entirety.
  • C.S. Lewis - infamous lay theologian and Christian apologist well regarded for his books 'The Screwtape Letters' & 'The Chronicles of Narnia'. Most people who know me, know that I struggle to finish a book. So of course I haven't read any C.S Lewis books. The play last night was just a glimpse of his work revealing a brilliant and insightful man. The insight of this man into the human condition and the clarity around that is enlightening and affirming to the timeless problems us humans face, especially with regards to self righteousness. To think from the early 1900s, some things just never change! The play was in a Christian run theatre (www.pacifictheatre.org). The costumes and acting were brilliant with minimal stage props and set.
  • Dare I mention a 3rd insightful man - CP's friend T. He is studying a Masters at Regent, has a passion for C.S. Lewis and has wild hair (he cuts it himself). He shared after the play about his thoughts on Lewis' work, his influence in his life and his perception of Heaven and Hell, and choosing God or self. I said to CP later that he will definitely make a great pastor. You know when you meet someone and they are filled with deep seeded passion, insight and wisdom (yet humble) - but also funny, relational and quirky - it leaves such an impression on you. Well, T is one such person. His wife D is also pretty amazing too - attractive, funny, intelligent, passionate, full of life. God is at work and they will bless many.
So much more to say, but must retire to bed.




No comments:

Post a Comment