Friday, January 30, 2009

The Underdog (Part 1)

Is always wanting to get the best quality for your dollar a good thing?

In my last job at Circular Quay, the food court experienced a renovation and with it a whole sweep of fancy food outlets offering better looking and quality food. I would often treat myself for a breakfast of thick cut toast and coffee, hopefully once a week but sometimes more than that.

When the new food offerings arrived, I stuck to my regular café with it’s simple unrenovated presentation and simple service. Even though there was a new girl on for the morning service who had bedraggled hair and a lousy morning attitude, I continued buying my toast and coffee there. After about a month of this unmotivating reception I complained to the manager about the girls service and was advised that the girl is young and parties at night and could do with some sympathy! I was told if I asked her how she was she may pep up a bit in the morning. What was I thinking?! I persisted because I felt sorry for them. They were clearly the underdog post food court renovation and it was difficult to see them struggling with no queues at their counter….whereas the other 2 main food retailers had constant queues.

It was only until my café folded that I felt I could defect to the new retailer opposite with the overly friendly ‘Italian mumma’ announcing to the world ‘’Hi gorgeous what can I get for you?’…….Or the other café around the corner whose greeting was always ‘Hi Bella, what would you like’. Ah, service with a smile and better coffee…..

Do you think I learnt from this lesson??

No comments:

Post a Comment