Saturday, June 19, 2010

From everlasting to everlasting...

Today I attended a family funeral.

As hymns were sung, scripture was read and God's Word preached the hope that I have in the Lord resounded within me. But I wondered who else it resounded with and whether my family understood what was being said. Despite my faith, I felt a deep sense of fear for those around me.

The message was clear - Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Jesus.

I was thinking perhaps it was too much for my family to hear....but it's the truth. That's what I believe. I found myself praying 'let those who have ears listen'.

Human love can be so fickle at times. Whilst I don't wish to admit it, my love for others can waiver and be conditional. But the Lord's love is everlasting, everlasting through my life and through the generations before and those that follow. The Lord's love is what has given me a new life - one that is eternal.

This was the scripture today:

Psalm 103:11-18 (NIV)

11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his love for those who fear him;

12 as far as the east is from the west,
so far has he removed our transgressions from us.

13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;

14 for he knows how we are formed,
he remembers that we are dust.

15 As for man, his days are like grass,
he flourishes like a flower of the field;

16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
and its place remembers it no more.

17 But from everlasting to everlasting
the LORD's love is with those who fear him,
and his righteousness with their children's children-

18 with those who keep his covenant

and remember to obey his precepts.

No comments:

Post a Comment